Wiener Douyon - 6/18/18

Dear readers,

My name is Wiener Douyon, and I am currently in Guatemala from the 5th to the 19th of June, 2018. Below are some of the elements of Guatemala that were the most shocking to me. I hope you enjoy my blog! 

Intro: First Realizations
As I arrived in Guatemala, I was swept away by everything. The thick air, the ancient Spanish architecture, and the natural landscapes are all features that distinguish this country, and symbolize all the treasures and horrors that this country has. Before arrival, I realized that the people here seemed to have an unlimited supply of perseverance. To be able to be unfazed by the water that had some parasites (we could't drink tap water), and the giant mosquitoes is not easy, as I find myself constantly swatting and avoiding them. What was even more strange was how welcoming the overall country is. There is a clear sense of community here, and tourists are welcome on these humble grounds. I also felt pride radiating from the people of Antigua, for they knew how beautiful and majestic their town and country is. I am lucky to have this opportunity to be surrounded by beautiful mountains, and loving people, and while I may be swatting at the things that I’m not used to, I am actually having the time of my life.

Weather: 
Mother Nature Does Not Play!
We are at the mercy of nature here. When it rains, trees sway and streets are flooded. Despite these monstrous rainfalls, the umbrellas and lifestyles here are not affected. It was said that these rainfalls actually compliment the lifestyles, as they provides enough water to grow and sustain agriculture. Besides, I think the rain, the floods, and the strong winds are awesome. We are in a valley, the pit of 3 different volcanoes, so when the rain goes away, there is indeed a beautiful day. The smell of the wet grass, and the ashes of the recent eruption are also things to keep note. The ash can be a lot to handle as it can cause severe destruction to the roofs to homes when wet. However, the people seem to be unfazed as they understand that there will be prices to pay when living in a “environment crafted by God,” as claimed by the locals here.

Teaching: 
As a teacher, I can now say that the task of educating a group of young aspiring kids is not easy nor simple. I found myself having difficulty with tasks as simple as explaining a concept, or staying on a fixed schedule. In order to improve, I used and spent a majority of my afternoon Spanish tutor time with a specialized teacher for translating expectations to Spanish and having a clear objective on what I want to teach. My work had paid off. Teaching got easier by the end of the trip, and I could understand the questions that the kids ask me. It was cool to see how tenacity and the other star skills can be translated to the kids here, as they embody similar characteristics to myself and my classmates. They are warriors, and I took inspiration and motivation when seeing their passion and eagerness when being taught. Many of them of living insufficient lifestyles when it comes to meals and sleep, so I am more grateful of my background and the privileges I have as an American.  

Lessons: Becoming “Woke”

Here in Guatemala, I was introduced to many different aspects of life that I had first taken for granted. Being here has revitalized my bond with my religion as well, as illness and other conflicts surfaced. My love for my family had been restored, as I kept close contact every night. Friendship and nature also entered my mind, as some activities put these aspects in full effect. 

I am thankful, and I would like to give a special thanks to those reading who helped sponsor this trip. I have many more stories, and so little time, and will be sharing more of my stories as I re-encounter all of you. 

Until then, 

I will be enjoying my last couple of days! Thank you and I hope your time in the last couple of weeks was as educating and enjoying as mine. 

Wiener Douyon
 

Comments

Popular Posts