Sharmy Ertilien - 6/15/18

Greetings from Guatemala,

My trip here has been amazing thus far. The land, people and atmosphere is so inviting! This trip has opened my eyes to the world and has removed me a little more from my sheltered lifestyle in Boston.

We teach kids who don't have the privileges we have back at home.  We've met a boy who works at one of the many tiendas (convenience stores) instead of going to school. We have met with young girls making tortillas everyday to make a profit in their families' tiendas. None of these people have complained and all have been nothing but pleasant since we've been here.

My introduction to all these kids and people has also opened my eyes up to the reality of how some may exaggerate the poverty here. The people here are not suffering and begging, at least in the parts I have seen. The people here are not fighting each other for things. Everything that I've seen here isn't like the U.S, maybe just a little more old fashioned.

Despite the activity of multiple volcanoes leading up to the trip and at the beginning of the trip, we have faced no struggles. We have been safe and well taken care of. The only real adversary we face is the battle between us and mosquito bites. 

This trip has been a great experience; anxiety has encouraged me to travel more and appreciate the little luxuries I had begun to think of as rights: like Wi-fi and internet connections 😝 (Currently in an internet cafe to write this blog)

See you soon,
Sharmy Ertilien

Comments

Popular Posts