Jaden Teves - 6/15/18

For the first time when traveling, I didn't feel myself being the littlest bit nervous. From being on the plane to taking our bus to Antigua and my home stay, it never really occurred to me that I was finally in Guatemala. From stepping off the bus, I could see my home stay mom on the street. I was nervous to meet her, wondering what she would think of me, but as soon as I entered the house, I felt more welcomed in a new environment then I had ever felt before. That night. I found myself sleeping soundly. I thought it was from the very long day but the next night I found the same comfort in my sleep. It wasn't a perfect sleep, but I felt as though I could sleep with ease. Every morning, I woke up so comfortable to even wake up and think I was home... The only downer was that I wasn't home.. The food was much better then I had thought it would be. I had services and was able to reach out to loved ones, and when getting sick, I was able to rest and be taken care of by my home stay family. I still don't feel as though I am in Guatemala, but I can only wonder when it will really hit me... 


It still has not hit me yet, but I feel as though the more I stay, the more I begin to become even more comfortable then I was my first few days here. For me to say I do not miss my family is a lie, but I wish they would come with me. Having been so attached to my family, this was quite odd to be somewhere and not be able to turn around and see them... But the longer I am away, I swear they sound different each time I talk to them over the phone. Every day I wonder what they are up to. I hate not being able to know what they are doing each second, but this has taught me that in life, I may not always be there, but I need to have the faith to say they are ok.. that they are doing well. The more I teach and see the kids grow, the more I begin to see how much they look up to me. I never realized how much of a role model I can be until I had so many students looking up to me all at once.

In being here, looking at the sights and the different people who live here, I feel as though this country is sometimes portrayed as worse than it actually is. Compared to the United States, yes it may seem very run down I can agree, but not once have I been in danger or robbed. For me to seem unsafe, it seems impossible as all the people on the street greet you with a smile. Even if some try to sell you merchandise.... there is still this good being behind the hands that try to sell to you. I wonder why some in the United States portray this country as worse than it really is.

The more I stay here in Guatemala, the more beauty I find.. but the more I miss home. At this point, it can seem as though I am counting the days, in hopes they go by faster, but there is another part of me that wants to stay, to help more. in the end, family over my own pleasure seems to take over. I cannot wait to go home and speak of everything, but I will surely miss all the students smacking their desks as I walk in, excited to start the lesson and begin their English learning for the day.
~ Jaden 

Comments

Popular Posts