Djanisha Philippe - 6/14/18

Hey signing in this is Djanisha,
 
If you clicked on my blog, then you made a good choice. Im about to take you on a lingustic journey of my expirence in Guatemala so far. As someone who has never left the US, I was not scared of entering a new country or leaving my family; I was scared of the plane. I hate the feeling of my stomach dropping and I was trying to fall asleep quickly so I wouldn't feel it. It did not work. Now about Guatemala. I instantly fell in love with my homestay abuela - Mama Yeya. She is a whiz in the kitchen. I was expecting to starve out in Guat but looks like Mama Yeya had other plans. We did alot of cleaning. It was kind of annoying. I like helping the community but don't like volcano ash in my toes, my face and my legs. It just wasn{t cute. I liked laughing at my friends while they were crushing on this local boy. 

My first day of teaching was a mess. These kids knew more english than I thought. I guess it was good because it means they retained information from last year, but I felt so unprepared. The next day was amazing though because we taught them the future tense, and they did not know it. I felt like I was actually running the class and they weren't running me. My roomies are the best part. Sampada and Liz really made my trip so funny and memorable. I was actually lit for the salsa dance lessons.  It made me feel so nice! Helping kids was one of the most stressful and memorable expirences. I learned why it may take teachers a long time to grade something because it was really hard for me to find the motivation to grade. I taught kids the future tense in English, and was elated when they understood it. I also went to lake Atitlan and had an okay time. It was very challenging because there were lots of rocks and the stairs were slippery. All in all it was a good expirence. I am looking forward to the soccer game and BBQ on Saturday because I know it will be alot of fun. Also I have the perfect outfit planned. 

Djanisha

Comments

Popular Posts