Juliana Rivera - 6/15/18

On the first day of teaching the children at the school in San Pedro, I have to admit I was nervous. I was worried they wouldn't like me or that I wouldn't be able to teach them well. I was surprised when I first walked into my first class (3rd grade) and there were about 30 children crammed into a space under a stairwell. They then adjusted themselves so that my partner and I could access the whiteboard easily. They all then stood up and did a small chant to welcome us teachers and assured us to not be shy: Buenos días Seño como esta Usted, pase adelante, no tenga pena. Their sweet gesture comforted me and it was easier for me to teach my lesson. Their eagerness to learn English amazed me and they were always willing to complete the next task. They weren't afraid to participate and there were always volunteers. There's one boy in particular, Cristian, who always has a smile on his face with wide and sparkly eyes. He's always trying to get his classmates quiet so that we can continue the lesson. On the last day of classes, he was the first one to raise his hand when I asked who wanted to present their work at the closing ceremony. Even during recess I see him playing with the other children with so much energy.

In my next class (also 3rd grade) I let my teaching partner Sharmy take charge of the teaching while I walked around helping the rest of kids individually. There was one boy, named Estuardo, who had trouble spelling ''grandfather'' so I constantly had to correct him. Even though he kept making mistakes, he never complained or got frustrated. Being able to see his perserverence made me reflect on my own attitude back home. This experience made me understand how often I take for granted the education I receive. I'm able to go to an organized school that has all the materials I need and so often I complain of ''too much work'' or ''boring classes''. There are many children who aren't even able to go to school or have limited options here. I hope to gain more gratitude and a positive attitude out of this trip.

-Juliana Rivera

Comments

Popular Posts