Kassanie Jean

It wasn't until I tasted the broccoli soup sitting near the bread and coffee, that I realized that I was actually about 3 thousand miles away from home.
   The bus ride was pretty long. It was about an hour and 15 mins from the airport to Antigua. I was so fascinated about how Guatemala City was so similar to back home in Haiti. The public transportation, the school uniforms, the corner stores, even the merchants with pounds of products on their heads. My house in Antigua was very welcoming. There were 3 bedrooms for the 5 of us. 2 of the bedrooms contained 2 beds, and a bathroom. The last room only had 1 bed and 1 bathroom. Our host mom, the assistant, and the chef all were very nice. They made sure everything was great every minute of our time in the house. Although when it came to walking to the school and back, my roommates and I faced many obstacles. The biggest one we had to overcome as a group was the frightening dog that crossed us and was barking at us in the dark on our way back home. We thought about all the times that we were in our panic zone at Project Adventure in the U.S. (a team building site), and how we over came them. When we had to complete the high ropes course, my body wanted to give up but my mind was telling me that I could do this. Instead of panicking when we saw the dog, we told ourselves that we can do this and stuck together to get rid of it. Guatemala was full of surprises. I really enjoyed the lake that we went to, and the explanation of a traditional Guatemalan wedding. The boat ride to the lake was really nice. The water was so clear and the volcanoes (although inactive) were very close. It was a great experience!


~ Kassanie

Comments

Popular Posts