Brenda Zotarelli - Mi casa es tu casa

I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit nervous to come to Guatemala. I was afraid to face the conditions I will be living in for three full weeks. Most likely, this fear came directly from stories previous Junior Journey students had told me. However, as soon as I arrived in Guatemala, I instantly felt at home. All my fears disappeared. Every street we turned, every stray dog I saw, every truck that passed by and blew toxic air down my privileged American lungs, made me feel at home. Guatemala instantly reminded me of life in Brazil, where I was born. The people here seem so genuinely happy with the little they have, much like the people I know in Brazil.
When we arrived at our home stay, I instantly fell in love. I fell in love with everything: the house with its beautiful open garden in the middle, my host Grandma (who my roommates and I call Mama Llella), the amazing home-cooked meals, and best of all, the close relationships between all of us students on the trip. Being a part of Junior Journey has given me the opportunity to not only enrich my Spanish speaking with one-on-one Spanish classes, but it has allowed me to be a part of the lives of the most sweet and appreciative children in all of San Pedro. I've also met two wonderful women with whom I have made unforgettable memories -  memories that will remain in my heart for the rest of my life. These two women are my Spanish teacher, Elvia, and Mama Llella, who both remind me of my mother and are willing to be my mother in Guatemala. They made it possible for me to feel comfortable and at home while being thousands of miles away, not to mention the posters that Mama Llella put all around the house to remind me “Mi casa es tu casa”.

Comments

Popular Posts