Isaiah Reid Brook - Guatemala 2017

Last Monday myself, twenty two peers, and five of my teachers landed in Guatemala City. It is my first time outside of the country, and I could not have been more excited. As we left the airport, the climate reminded me of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which I have visited many times to see my grandparents, but the atmosphere was totally different, with vendors immediately greeting us with handmade goods. As a group we stuffed our luggage on a bus and departed from the airport. Guatemala City was bustling; I was not able to spot a single person being sedentary, but as we moved closer to Antigua, and farther from the city, things began to slow down and relax. Urban business turned to small villages and endless farms.
Once arriving in Antigua, things really sunk in- I am going to be living with two friends for three weeks in a place where my native language is no longer empowering. I felt nervous, but excited. How would I express myself? Would I like the food? Or even the most simple, and pressing question, what would my first interaction with my host mom be like?
The bus dropped Jonah, Marrs, and I off along with our three suitcases and we clumsily rolled down the uneven cobblestone road. We got to the house, and I think we all took a deep breath before opening the door. The greeting was kind and fluid, not awkward as I thought it might have been, and we were welcomed into our new home. Our host mom, Patricia, is more than generous, and goes out of her way to talk with us and explain cultural differences. No longer do I have the same meals, schedule, or even the ability to flush toilet paper, but I am comforted by support from Patricia. I have enjoyed trying new foods and experiences with so many of my good friends.
One experience that has been the shining star of every day to me is teaching English in San Pedro. The morning after we arrived, we were greeted by all of the kids in San Pedro. I could not have been more happy as a looked upon the swarm of 500 smiling faces. It was clear they were overjoyed to have us, just as I wanted to be with them.
This mutual joy lasted more than just a day, and every morning, along with my teaching partner, I teach a class of 34 second graders English. We have taught them colors, numbers, and shapes, which we are combining for an art unit. The process of teaching has made me hone in my leadership, companionship, and language abilities. Despite occasionally needing redirection, it is astounding to me how quickly they are able to learn.
Overall, my experience in Guatemala has been nothing short of tremendous because of the people- my peers, my host mom, and my kids.

  

Comments

Popular Posts